Friday, May 27, 2011

the thought pantry 50 outrageous dresses

My very talented, very creative and SERIOUSLY funny friend and co-worker, Angella of the thought pantry had this post on her blog last September. I think it is one of my all-time favorite posts, and think everyone ought to see it!

Enjoy!

Haute couture.

Otherwise known as high fashion and dressmaking at its finest. It’s a term so exclusive that it’s protected by law and defined by the Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Paris. It even has a list of official members (kind of like the secret society in A Series of Unfortunate Events…or the KKK). When I look at collections by Gaultier or Dior, I immediately feel like I’m in a time period that never existed. There can never be too much lace, feathers, glitter, mesh, spandex, velvet, or tulle, and on the runway higher doses of outrageousness is better applauded. I can’t help but feel inspired, horrified, amused, shocked, embarrassed, and most of all enraptured when I see those human twigs doing their walk, decked out in what appears to be glorified window curtains, sexified space gear, armadillo heels, parts of an ostrich and kimonos on crack. I love it!

That got me thinking. Most of these dresses are so outrageous that they start to resemble all kinds of things – animals, plants, food, buildings, religious icons, everyday objects and even Pokemon characters. I flipped through a bunch of collections by McQueen, John Galliano, Dior, Agatha Ruiz de la Prada, Jean Paul Gaultier, Karl Lagerfeld, Armani PrivĂ©…and in my head I started to match each dress to whatever came to mind. It kind of exploded into a fun project as you can see:

And of course, who can forget one of Lady Gaga’s many scandalous ensembles…

There you go! 50 outrageous dresses (and comparisons) that took three days to put together. This was an addicting project. I could go on forever doing this but then there would never be a blog entry :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jackie you flatter me. Thank you for finding my blog worthy of reading! So Missy proposed that we have a "super high heels" day at work. Let's do it! Or even....red carpet Wednesday? Eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok, i never thought a dress could be blasphemous. But they did it! so funny Angella!

    ReplyDelete