Tuesday, January 31, 2012

felt storage boxes



Have an affinity with felt? Me too. I wanted a couple of new soft storage pieces for my little girls room. The most difficult part of this tutorial is finding thick enough felt yardage that isn't ridiculous expensive.
The measurements of my box is 10" width x 14" depth x 8 3/4" height. My felt is about 3mm thick. 5mm would be even more stable.


Cut out your pattern. I added a cut out oval handle on the ends for more simple carrying.

Pin your corners together and do a simple straight stitch 1/4" from the edge. Do all 4 corners.

A couple of sources the felt people. You will have to call for pricing and availability.
Filz felt. It is 100% wool which equals more expensive.
Polyester felt is less expensive, it is just hard to find. Another option is to get craft felt and use a spray adhesive to layer and make it however thick you want it to be.

1 comment: